Truly Effective Social Design Requires Context
A whiteboard sketch, c. April 2011, by Joey Primiani, envisioning a new type of community platform
Backplane unites people around affinities, interests and movements. Backplane is a new type of social platform aimed at helping niche communities build, host and grow robust and engaging online systems. Currently, the social web is centered around individuals and their friends, we believe that its future surrounds communities and bringing people together who share common interests, passions or industries.
Being a Gaga fan and understanding how important the thriving Little Monster communities, we wanted to keep a very focused design that would showcase user generated content effectively. The waterfall UI is a very visual way to consume a lot of content quickly. We are really inspired by Dieter Rams “10 Principles for Good Design”. Specifically good design is as little design as possible and good design is in the details.
- To have people connected to each other
- Make them feel like the superstar
- Connect on a more personal, intimate, and creative level
- Creative Community of Fashion Designers, Photographers, Artists, etc.
- Social networks are for people who you went to high school with, Backplane is for the people you wanted to go to high school with.
- Be the exclusive source of new content
- Showcase User Generated Content & Media
- Create the closest two-way creative feedback loop platform
- Visualize everything that is a movement, impact, and influence
- Authenticity and legitimacy to the brand
Two things are true with the future of social - it is much more visual to promote self expression and much more real-time to create a great conversation channel for communities. Want to learn more? Email us firstname.lastname@example.org